Saturday, July 07, 2007

Jordanian Government

Jordan is a Constitutional Monarchy. This means that it is run by both a king and a Parliament. The Parliament has as much power as the king allows it to have. He can dissolve the Parliament or suspend its authority at any time.

Jordan's Parliament is broken into two houses.

  • A senate called the "House of Notables" or Majlis al-Ayan which has 55 senators nominated by the king from designated categories of public figures. They each serve four-year terms.
  • A House of representitives called the "Chamber of Deputies" or the Majlis Majlis al-Nuwaab. Jordan is broken into tribes and each tribe elects a representative to Parliament.

The problems that this 'Representative democracy" causes are often refereed to as "tribal mentality". Predominately it has to do with nepotism and the fact that the tribes often see women as too emotional to be good leaders. This is quite sad to the more liberal Jordanians because most of Jordan's voters are women.(People who are tied to the military are not allowed to vote so that the army remains neutral.)

Since all of the seats in Parliament were being filled by men, the present king, King Abduallah, put in a quota system. 6 seats MUST be held by women.

The fulfillment of these seats brings quite a debate among Jordanians. Some say that none of the women sitting in the Parliament were actually elected, while some say that there are a few. What does seem to be a consensus in opinion is that many of the men in Parliament are illiterate. They truly can not read or write, while all the women are active in NGOs and have Ph.D's.

Bedouins, being very patriarchal and therefore against women in the government, then raised the number of seats in Parliament from 110 to 116.

So King Abduallah raised the quota from 6 to 12.

9 comments:

No_Angel said...

Hey nice blog, surprised there is not a single comment here ?!
well granted that your view of the palestinian israeli conflict is slightly bias, and at best skin deep but i like that you take interest in the matter ;)
I guess it was perfectly summarized in ur statement "jordan? is that in jersey?"
I don't have a specific comment regarding anything but i think it would be interesting to hear the views of some of the expats that have been living here for a while, and the views of jordanians for that matter regarding many of the issues (most of it is plastered all over their blogs, but i don't know how much time u have to look at those)

Hope u enjoy the stay

Anonymous said...

Welcom to jordan and good luck to you.

Me said...

Lysa, Thank you for this post! i had no idea about the Parliament in Jordan. i guess i have to read all through out your blog to learn more about my own country!!
Thanks to for promoting your blog on his through this link:

http://american-in-jordan.blogspot.com/2007/07/blog-worth-reading.html

Thank you again.

Lysa said...

Hi No Angel,
I'm sorry if you feel that my blog is bias towards the Israeli side. I really try not to be, but I guess I've been overwhelmed. Honestly, when I was in Israel they seemed to think that I took the Palestinian point of view.

As far as my view being skin deep, well, I'm sorry for that too. I write what I know. I don't live in the Middle East and haven't been affected by this conflict as you have. Additionally, by not being Israeli, Jewish, Jordanian, Palestinaian, Muslim...Middle Eastern in any way I haven't been brought up with your daily experiences. I only know the little things that see on my trips here. Honestly, I've never claimed to be any kind of an expert.

I'd love to talk with expats and Jordainans. Please feel free to send me their information and as far as their blogs, please send me info on them too. I'll read them when I get back home. (We're on a very tight schedule here.)

MommaBean said...

Lysa, as I said on my previous comment, welcome to Jordan. I'm an American living in Jordan with my Palestinian husband and three children. I'm so glad that Dave posted about your blog as it is quite interesting. Keep posting. Whether you are biased is immaterial, you seem to be open and listening. That's all that it will take to have a balanced view. Kudos for this interesting blog. And, if you'd like to meet some bloggers while you're here, I suspect that could be arranged :). We're a pretty hardy mixed community of Americans, Jordanians, Palestinians, and various others).

No_Angel said...

sorry if i came off on the wrong foot there ;)
bias is not something we can avoid and i don't blame you for it, for i am biased as well. I was actually admiring that you took interest in the matter and you are learning about it that is all. (atleast u know where jordan is)
hmm http://jordanjournals.blogspot.com/
is a good place to start

Lysa said...

Hi everyone,
I can't figure out how to reply to each of you directly so I am just doing this:

Thanks for taking interest in my BLOG, I feel very honored.

Mamabean I would LOVE to meet all of you. Feel free to contact me, lysa622003@yahoo.com

Suzi Ferer Fritsch said...

HEY LYSA!!! Michael and I are reading this and we wanna no when
u r gonna update this.. and how
come we're not in it!!!
Suzi and Michael aka Moishy

Lysa said...

Hi Suzi,

Sorry for not updating in a while, but I explained why in another post.

As far as you not being in it, I was just trying to be nice, but since you asked, I have added an entry on you.

Lysa