Saturday, July 14, 2007

Answers to People's Questions- You seemed Sad at Times

It's interesting, all my friends and family send me e-mails instead of posting on the blog. There seems to be an underlying theme to all the questions, so I will answer these:

You seemed sad at times.

Yeah, at times it was hard. It is hard when you hear about the effect the war is having on Jordan and all the problems the Iraqis are having. (I know a lot of my friends and family don't want to read the next few lines, but tough, here they are...) And you know that a great deal of the suffering and problems are caused by American foreign policy. You can't help but feel weighed down.

Then the Palestinian/Israeli conflict is extremely tough for me too. Having friends on both sides, knowing their stories and seeing their pain can be overwhelming at times. The other day we had a speaker from Mercy Corp talk to us. When it came to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, she started crying. She spoke about her friends in Israel and her friends here. She spoke of being a peace activist and trying to promote peace, but was worried that the rift was so great, the hatred so ingrained, that there could never be a settlement.

I ended up in tears crying along with her. I too believed that peace in the Middle East was achievable; now, at times, I'm not so sure.


So yes, at times I was sad. I don't know how these realizations can't help but overwhelm you at times. But then again, this was not a carefree tourist trip. I knew that before I came.

No comments: